Week 3 Blog

 Week 3 Blog

Digital Storytelling Project Plan

What story would you like to explore? 

    I would like to explore the story of buying a house for the first time. It is currently something I am in the process of and think many people could benefit from knowing more about the process. There is a lot of information that is unknown, and it is a big and scary deal. Creating a story to show other people about it and let them know they are not alone, would be a great way to communicate the process. I will be very open about the scary moments and exciting moments.  


o What type/kind of story will you tell? What is the purpose or impact? 

    This would be an accomplishment story because it is a big milestone in a person’s life and is a goal many people strive for. The impact of the story would be to let people know the ins and outs and what to expect when it comes to buying a home. I would also like to share my accomplishment. 


o What are the story elements? (Ohler)

    The problem of the story would be being scared on how to buy a house. 

    The transformation of the story would be me learning about how to get pre-approved, putting in an offer, and all the little steps.

    The solution would be me signing for the house and moving in. 


o What approach will you take to mapping or developing your story?  (Ohler) 

    I will probably to the basic arc is mapping out my story. This makes the most senses to me and fits best with what I am trying to do. I like how it starts with the beginning, problem, solution, and ends with wrapping it all up. I think it would be cool to show a shot of the house at the beginning and then rewind to show how I got there. 


How might you use this story in an educational environment?

    In Iowa we have college and career readiness goals. Students need to be able to demonstrate knowledge in being able to plan, establish goals, and this could be a good way to show them these skills in real life. 


What content and technology standards are addressed? 

    Iowa needs students to have an individual Career and Academic Plan (ICAP) when in high school. This means students need to engage in development and reflection of self, career research, and planning opportunities for self after high school. This video would fit with the goal of ICAP. Since I am the one creating the video, I will look at the student ISTE standards. All sub standards under 1.6 Creative Communicator would fit with this project. I am going to have to pick a platform to use, make my own work, and communicate the ideas in a way which is most beneficial and will make the biggest impact on the viewers. 


What tools are you considering to capture, edit, and communicate your story?  

How might you produce your story? 

    I have no idea what tools I am going to use. I will probably record on my phone and then use iMovie to make the video?? Any help here or suggestions would be great! 


How might you assess digital stories produced by students in your own courses? 

    In my own classroom, digital stories would be different. They would probably need to me more informational based focusing on content. I do teach one section of Forensic Science where students would be able to make some interesting digital stories about maybe an unsolved crime or a particular crime. I would assess them based on the content of the story first and then focus on the production of it. I also think it would be good to have students to two stories. One story towards the beginning of the year and one later to see the growth in the stories and technology skills. 



Comments