Week 1 Blog

Week 1 Blog:

My name is Claire Molony and I am in my sixth year of teaching high school. I teach high school science which includes biology, chemistry, forensic science, and wildlife management. I particularly enjoy teaching biology and forensic science. I am still getting the hang of teaching wildlife management and chemistry. Even though this is my sixth year teaching, it is my third year in my current role. My school is in a rural farm community in northeastern Iowa. In my spare time, I enjoy coaching youth basketball, playing golf, and spending time with family and friends. I am excited to learn more about how I can incorporate digital storytelling into my classes. 

I am thinking about creating a story about the carbon cycle. We are going to be talking about The Law of Conservation of Matter and how matter and energy are both conserved during photosynthesis and cellular respiration. It fits with standard HS-LS2-2: Develop a model to illustrate the role of photosynthesis and cellular respiration in the cycling of carbon. It would be a fun story to show and maybe take on the role of a carbon molecule and follow its journey on Earth. This would allow students to see how photosynthesis and cellular respiration are related and needed for Earth to function. They could also look at the different spheres and understand the purpose of each sphere and how carbon Is present. Okay, another thing I am thinking about does not really tie in with education but I am a single woman buying a house for a first time, I could share my journey for other women in similar places. After listening to everyone share their ideas, I am going to continue to think about more meaningful topics. (I do not know)

The reading that resonated with me was Staley and Freeman (2017) about using DST in a rural school. The article mentioned how students could be described as having low motivation and behavior problems but through making stories in a workshop format, they enjoyed it (Staley & Freeman, 2017, p. 2). In the class students had to create a story about their future and I liked this idea because it made the learning relevant to them and they had ownership of the working they were doing. I enjoyed reading all the benefits of DST such as closing the digital divide, engaging in multiple literacies and different technologies, and learning new skills (Stanley & Freeman (2017), p. 5). These are all skills my students could benefit from practicing because they do not get a lot of opportunities to have the freedom to create using technology. Being a workshop format can also be something I do because it will give them the time to learn the skills and then implement them. I cannot expect the students to start creating right away when the technology Is new to them. By using what I have read, my students will be able to create meaningful and high quality projects which will showcase their creative abilities. 


Stanley, B., & Freeman, L. A. (2017) Digital storytelling as student-centered pedagogy: Empowering high school students to frame their futures. Research and Practice in Technology Enhanced Learning, 12(21).

Comments

  1. Hello, I also teach high school (math/ special ed.). It's interesting to consider using a Digital Story to teach something like the carbon cycle. I definitely think that your experience of buying a home would be interesting too. The story of the students who created their own digital stories also stood out to me in the reading. I liked the way the project engaged them and gave them ownership over their own ideas and expression. I can imagine my students really getting into creating some kind of digital story, although it's more difficult for me to see applications for that in math (Geometry) than in other subjects, which seem to lend themselves more to stories. - Joanne Scott

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment